Important things to know about this role
AA/EE: Not Applicable
Location: Johannesburg (partly work-from-home)
Available: 1 March 2021
Contract type: Permanent
You will work closely with the Group CEO to manage the group companies’ finances. Here’s how:
- Provide overall leadership and direction to the finance department staff and to ensure that the group companies’ accounting/financial goals and objectives are consistently achieved. This includes the preparation of accurate monthly management accounts prepared on-time, and that both month-end and year-end checklist are rigorously followed.
- To ensure suitable financial metrics are closely monitored and to provide the business with clear direction when measures are not achieved, trends are unfavourable, where results are concerning, or where they are strong, and where learnings can be taken away and utilised elsewhere. Ongoing analysis and feedback will consistently be required.
- To oversee and ensure that all financial records, including revenue, expenditure, assets, liabilities, equity and cash flows are accurate, up-to-date and processed efficiently, effectively and in a timely manner.
- To ensure a deep, and complete commercial understanding of the financials of the business.
- To provide in-depth and well-considered analysis of various aspects of and across all areas of the business and to suitably document the required outcomes to be provided to senior managers, and colleagues with the purpose of enhancing the financial performance, and addressing any possible business risk in a timely manner.
- To monitor and ensure that trade debtors are well managed, that collections are timeously received and that the metrics applicable to trade debtor management are consistently achieved, and to take decisive action when this is not the case.
- Ensure best practice standards are maintained across the finance/accounting department always.
- Complete, and maintain accurate and reliable cash flow forecasts.
- Ensuring that all financial reports are prepared in an accurate, timely and complete manner.
- To oversee and co-ordinate the group companies’ financial year-end in strict accordance with the agreed timelines, ensuring the accurate, complete and timely closing of the year-end accounts for auditing purposes.
- Ensure that suitable finance policies and procedures are stringently applied to the department and are revised and updated as required.
- Ensure that finance staff conduct themselves in a professional, efficient and effective manner.
- Oversee, and manage the production, and preparation of the group companies’ financial budgets in strict accordance with the group companies’ standards and timetable.
- Liaise continually with users of financial information and ensure that all their needs are being met.
- Monitor and analysis of financial results including income statement, balance sheet and cash flows and key performance measures.
- Liaise closely with group external auditors and ensure the external year-end auditors and ensure the external year-end audit proceeds in a formal and orderly fashion and that all timelines are achieved.
- Oversee, via the respective managers the payroll department and including payroll processes and procedures, leave records and attendance records, and ensure from a financial risk perspective that all activities/functions are carried out in a responsible and professional manner and that all accounting reconciliations are accurate and up-to-date.
- Ensure that meticulous financial files are maintained that meet the requirements of the external auditors, and ensure accounting best practice is consistently followed.
- Work closely with the Managing, Sales, Technical and Marketing Directors as part of a mutually supportive senior management team.
- Complete the Income Tax Returns and supporting documents, ensure that VAT returns are accurately and timeously completed and ensure all finance-related statutory requirements are met.
- Keep abreast of financial developments across all sectors and in accordance with IFRS.
- Maintain a watching brief over the business, and financial risk across the business and take appropriate action should this occur.
- Prepare a monthly finance and accounting operational report for submission to the Group CEO for meetings.
BCom Accounting or equivalent degree.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Finance or Accounting.
Skills & Competencies
Mandatory (and minimum) skills requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English, other languages are advantageous).
- Excellent work ethic: energetic, get-things-done attitude and take responsibility to deliver positive results beyond expectations.
- Solid proficiency in computer literacy and the Office 365 suite of applications.
- Customer-centric people skills and ability to build productive, growth-focused business relationships.
- Although this role may be partly remote (partly work-from-home), an ability to travel to and work from our Johannesburg office is crucial (we are situated near Clearwater Mall in Johannesburg).
- Experience in working on Xero and Office 365.