Veritas NetBackup Appliance 2.7.x: Configuration and Management
This 2-day course provides Administrators, Operators and other IT professionals with the skills necessary to configure, monitor and manage Veritas NetBackup appliances.
Certified Training Course
R 14 300 p.p. (Excl. VAT)*
*Pricing may be subject to change due to exchange rate volatility.
Classroom-based, Instructor-led with emphasis on hands-on exercises. This course includes hands-on labs with a virtual appliance, demonstrations, and videos that enable you to run commands, view reports and observe procedures and begin to apply them in your working environment.
Start time: 09:00 (Registration will commence at 08:30 on the first day)
To attend this course, learners must have an understanding and working knowledge of the following concepts:
- Networking fundamentals
- Storage fundamentals
- Linux command fundamentals
- General NetBackup concepts, such as storage units and backup policies
Note: The scope of this course does NOT include general NetBackup concepts such as architecture in a NetBackup domain and backup policies. For this foundational knowledge please see the Veritas NetBackup 8.0: Administration (DP0134) course.
At the end of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Identify and describe each of the Veritas Appliance family models, software releases and the major features of each of those models.
- Describe the process of performing a basic configuration of the Appliance using the NetBackup Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH).
- Describe backups and restores using an appliance and run reports from the NetBackup and Appliance interfaces.
- Review troubleshooting tools and identify troubleshooting resources.
- Describe the process of monitoring and managing the 5240 appliances using Veritas Remote Management (VRM) and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu CLISH).
- Describe the process of applying updates to the appliance software and the effects and options of performing a reset or a reimage and decommissioning an appliance.
- Identify common Appliance hardware faults or failures and management tasks for the appliance.
Exam & Certifications
1. Appliance Introduction and Overview
- Identify and describe each of the NetBackup Appliance models and their major features
- List the supported NetBackup Appliance software releases and identify how to access the compatibility information for NetBackup Appliances
- Identify the hardware components and configuration options of the appliance's computing units and storage shelves
2. Appliance Configuration
- Identify the information needed to complete the pre-configuration checklist, the required registration web page and other considerations for the initial appliance configuration
- Describe how to access the Appliance Web Console for initial appliance configuration using the direct connect and remote methods and connecting post configuration through the network
- Identify local configuration tasks using the Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH)
- Identify the remote configuration tasks using the Remote Management Module (RMM4)
- Validate the appliance configuration by logging into the appliance
3. Appliance Operations
- Explain functionality differences when using a NetBackup appliance, and use common NetBackup features with the appliance
- Perform backups and restores using an appliance
- Run reports from the NetBackup and Appliance interfaces showing backup activity on the appliance
4. Monitoring Appliance Health
- Describe the areas in OpsCenter where Appliance monitoring information is found
- Identify monitoring tasks using the Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH)
- Identify the areas in the Symantec Remote Management console where Appliance monitoring information is found
5. Updates, Resets and Reimage
- Describe the framework for upgrading an appliance to 2.7.x including versioning/compatibility
- Perform pre-upgrade and pre-flight checks on an appliance
- Upgrade an appliance to a new software version
- Install client software from an appliance
- Perform a Factory Reset on an appliance
- Reimage an appliance
- Describe the procedure to decommission an appliance
6. Appliance Maintenance Tasks
- Identify the basics of the optional Call Home feature and how it allows proactive monitoring and messaging of NetBackup components
- Describe the process for configuring a NetBackup CLI User
- Explain the steps required to configure authentication on the appliance using LDAP
- Describe general concepts for adding a second storage array and resource location for specific differences pertaining to the 5240 and 5330 appliances
- Identify the key features of the SCSP audit view and how it protects servers in data centres
We include an appendix for 5230 configurations and management.
7. Appliance Troubleshooting and Tools
- Introduce the online resources available to assist with troubleshooting the appliance
- Describe how the indicators, lights and LEDs can be used to troubleshoot the appliance
- Describe a Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU) swap out and if its component is determined not to be a CRU, then the procedure is to escalate the issue