Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.x: Administration (SC1439)
This course is designed for the network, IT security, and systems administration professional tasked with architecting, implementing, and monitoring virus and spyware protection, zero-day protection, and network threat protection solutions.
Certified Training Course
R 16 430 p.p. (Excl. VAT)*
*Pricing may be subject to change due to exchange rate volatility.
Classroom-based, Instructor-led with emphasis on hands-on exercises.
Start time: 09:00 (Registration will commence at 08:30 on the first day)
Students should have knowledge of the following:
- Advanced computer terminology, including TCP/IP networking terms and Internet terms.
- An administrator-level knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating systems.
At the end of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe Symantec Endpoint Protection products, components, dependencies, and system hierarchy.
- Install and configure Symantec Endpoint Protection management and client components.
- Deploy Symantec Endpoint Protection Windows and Mac clients.
- Manage the client user interface.
- Manage content updates for Windows and Mac clients.
- Design a Symantec Endpoint Protection environment.
- Manage Virus and Spyware Protection policies.
- Manage SONAR scans.
- Manage Firewall and Intrusion Prevention policies.
- Manage Application and Device Control policies.
- Manage virtualized clients.
- Configure replication and load balancing
Exam & Certifications
This course prepares students to write the Administration of Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.x Exam (Exam Code: 250-315) as part of the Symantec Certified Specialist certification path.
- # of Questions: 75 - 85
- Exam Duration: 105 minutes
- Passing Score: 67%
- Languages: English
- Exam Price: $225 (or your country's currency equivalent)
Below includes the recommended preparation to achieve this level of expertise.
- Exam Objectives (PDF)
- Sample Exam (PDF)
- The study guide is targeted for those who have attended the recommended 5 day training course. This self-study guide summarises the key lessons and topics in the corresponding certification exam.
- Recommended 3-6 months’ experience working with Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.x and Microsoft Windows in a production or lab environment.
- Familiarity with product documentation for Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Course overview
- The classroom lab environment
2. Symantec Endpoint Protection Product Solution
- Why use Symantec Endpoint Protection?
- Symantec Endpoint Protection technologies
- Symantec Endpoint Protection services
- Symantec Endpoint Protection components
- Symantec Endpoint Protection policies and concepts
- Extending Symantec Endpoint Protection
3. Installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
- Identifying system requirements
- Preparing servers for installation
- Installing and configuring the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
- Describing Symantec Endpoint Protection upgrades and version compatibility
4. Configuring the Symantec Endpoint Protection Environment
- Starting and navigating the SEPM
- Describing policy types and components
- Console authentication
- Licensing the SEP environment
5. Deploying Windows Clients
- Planning the client deployment
- Configuring client deployment package
- Deploying packages to clients
- Maintaining the client environment
- Upgrading Symantec Endpoint Protection clients
6. Deploying Mac Clients
- Installation planning
- Package configuration
- Web-link and email deployment
- Third-party remote deployment
7. Client and Policy Management
- Describing SEPM and client communications
- Administering clients
- Configuring groups
- Configuring locations
- Active Directory integration with SEP 14.x
- Client configuration modes
- Configuring domains
- General client settings and Tamper Protection
8. Configuring Content Updates for Windows Clients
- Introducing LiveUpdate
- Configuring the SEPM for LiveUpdate
- Configuring the LiveUpdate Settings and Content policies
- Configuring multiple group update providers (GUPs)
- Manually updating virus definitions
9. Configuring Content Updates for Mac Clients
- Describing content update methods
- Configuring the LiveUpdate policy
- Configuring the SEPM as a reverse proxy
- Monitoring updates
10. Performing Server and Database Management
- Managing SEPM servers
- Maintaining server security
- Communicating with other servers
- Managing administrators
- Managing the database
- Disaster recovery techniques
11. Configuring Replication and Failover and Load Balancing
- About sites and replication
- How replication works
- Symantec Endpoint Protection replication scenarios
- Configuring replication
- Failover and load balancing
12. Designing a Symantec Endpoint Environment
- Architecture components
- Architecture constraints
- Component placement
- Content delivery
- Determining client to SEPM ratios
- SEPM and database sizing best practices
13. Introducing Antivirus, Insight, and SONAR
- Virus and spyware protection needs and solutions
- Reputation and Insight
- Administrator-defined scans
- Download Insight
- Included Virus and Spyware Protection policies
14. Managing Virus and Spyware Protection Policies for Windows
- Configuring administrator-defined scans
- Configuring protection technology settings and scans
- Configuring e-mail scans
- Configuring advanced options
- Managing scanned clients
15. Managing Virus and Spyware Protection Policies for Mac
- Configuring scheduled scans
- Configuring Auto-Protect
- Configuring advanced options
16. Managing Exception Policies
- Exceptions and exclusions
- Configuring the Exceptions policy
17. Introducing Network Threat Protection
- The OSI model and network threats
- Network threat tools and attack methods
- Attack and mitigation
18. Managing Firewall Policies
- Firewall policy overview
- Defining rule components
- Modifying firewall rules
- Configuring built-in rules
- Configuring protection and stealth settings
- Configuring Windows integration settings
19. Managing Intrusion Prevention Policies
- Configuring network and browser intrusion prevention
- Managing custom signatures
20. Managing Application and Device Control Policies
- Creating application and device control policies
- Defining application control
- Modifying policy rules
- Defining device control
- Introducing virtualisation features
- Virtual image exception
- Network and vShield Shared Insight Cache
- Virtual client tagging
- Offline image scanner