Veritas NetBackup 7.7: Administration (DP0134)
This 5-day course provides the IT professional with instruction on the functionality of NetBackup 7.7 software. It is intended for technical professionals responsible for the design, configuration, operation, monitoring, or support of NetBackup.
Certified Training Course
R 19 610 p.p. (Excl. VAT)*
*Pricing may be subject to change due to exchange rate volatility.
Classroom-based, Instructor-led with emphasis on hands-on exercises.
Start time: 09:00 (Registration will commence at 08:30 on the first day)
The knowledge and skills that a learner must have before attending this course is as follows:
- General network and storage concepts, and
- The administration and configuration of Windows or Linux operating systems.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the challenges of performing backups in today’s enterprise computing environments.
- Describe the functions of the master server, media servers, and clients.
- Diagram the NetBackup product architecture.
- Define common terms used in the NetBackup product.
- Describe how NetBackup backs up and restores data.
- Identify NetBackup options and agents.
- Use the NetBackup Administration Console and OpsCenter.
- Configure and manage basic disk storage units and storage unit groups.
- Configure file system backup policies and schedules.
- Perform manual backups and user-directed backups.
- Restore files using the Java or Windows BAR interface and OpsCenter Operational Restore.
- Monitor NetBackup backup and restore jobs and perform basic troubleshooting and information-gathering steps related to failing jobs.
- Configure and manage AdvancedDisk storage units and disk pools.
- Configure tape-based devices and volume pools; perform a robot inventory.
- Manage robot and tape drive settings, including media sharing.
- Monitor and manage media and media states.
- Configure, run, and manage virtual machine backups using VMware.
- Discuss other supported virtualisation methods.
- Recover virtual machines, including using VMware Instant Recovery.
- Use the integrated NetBackup vSphere Web Client Plug-in for VMware.
- Describe the various methods of backup image duplication.
- Configure Storage Lifecycle Policies (SLPs) and initiate jobs that use SLPs.
- Manage the NetBackup catalog to search for, verify, duplicate, import, and expire backup images.
- Back up and recover the NetBackup catalogs.
- Optimise file system backups using incremental backups, True Image Restore, synthetic backups, NetBackup Accelerator, multiple data streams, and multiplexing.
- Identify and use resources for troubleshooting NetBackup, including the NetBackup logging assistant, and tools related to debug logging.
Exam & Certifications
This course prepares students to write the Administration of Veritas NetBackup 7.7 Exam (Exam Code: VCS-274) as part of the Veritas Certified Specialist (VCS) certification and counts towards the requirements for a Veritas Certified Professional (VCP) certification in Data Protection.
- # of Questions: 70 - 80
- Exam Duration: 90 minutes
- Passing Score: 65%
- Languages: English, Japanese
- Exam Price: $225 USD (or your country’s currency equivalent)
- Exam Objectives (PDF)
- Sample Exam (PDF)
- The study guide is targeted for those who have attended the recommended 5-day training course. This self-study guide summarises the key lessons and topics in the corresponding certification exam.
- Recommended 6-12 months’ experience administering NetBackup 7.7 or working in Technical Support
- Knowledge of supported platforms, operating systems and networking concepts
- Knowledge of storage, virtualisation and data protection concepts
- Product documentation for NetBackup 7.7.x
1. Introducing NetBackup
- Introduction to data protection
- The NetBackup environment
- NetBackup concepts
- Using the NetBackup Administration Console
- NetBackup appliance overview
- Using NetBackup OpsCenter
2. Configuring NetBackup Storage
- NetBackup storage device concepts
- Configuring NetBackup basic disk storage
- Verifying basic disk storage
3. Configuring Policies and Schedules
- Introduction to backup policies
- Creating and configuring policy attributes
- Creating a policy schedule
- Adding client to a policy
- Creating backup selections
- Managing existing policies
4. Performing File System Backups
- Using and customising the NetBackup Activity Monitor
- Performing manual backup operations
- Performing user-directed backups
- Backup job-related tips
5. Performing File System Restores
- Introduction to restores
- Performing restore operations using the BAR interface
- Performing restore operations using OpsCenter Operational Restore
- Restore job-related tips
6. Configuring Disk Pools
- Understanding disk pools and AdvancedDisk
- Configuring AdvancedDisk
- Managing AdvancedDisk storage
7. Configuring Media Server Deduplication
- Introduction to NetBackup deduplication
- Configuring NetBackup media server deduplication
- Configuring client-side deduplication
- Managing NetBackup deduplication
8. Configuring Tape Storage
- Understanding Media Manager storage units
- Configuring tape devices
- Verifying tape storage
- NetBackup media concepts
- Configuring media
9. Managing Tape Storage
- Managing robots and tape drives
- Monitoring media and media states
- Managing tapes
- Media and device related tips
10. Protecting Virtual Machines
- Introduction to virtual machine backups
- Configuring VMware backups
- Performing and Monitoring VM Backups
- NetBackup support for other virtualisation solutions
11. Recovering Virtual Machines
- Managing VMware restores
- Using VMware Instant Recovery
- Using the NetBackup vSphere Web Client Plug-in
12. Duplicating Backups
- Backup duplication concepts
- Storage lifecycle policy concepts
- Using storage lifecycle policies
- Configuring optimised duplication
- Additional Storage Lifecycle Policy features and benefits
13. Managing and Protecting the NetBackup Catalog
- Introduction to NetBackup catalogs
- Managing images
- Configuring a catalog backup policy
- Disaster recovery strategies
14. Optimising File System Backups
- File system backup challenges
- Configuring for True Image Restores
- Using synthetic backups
- Optimising file system incremental backups with change logs
- Using NetBackup Accelerator
- Using multiple data streams
- Optimising tape drive performance using multiplexing
- Handling busy files on UNIX and Windows file systems
15. Collecting Logs and Diagnostic Information
- Support resources
- NetBackup processes, services, and daemons
- Introduction to Logging Assistant
- NetBackup and Media Manager logging overview
- Using the support utilities