VMware vSphere: Design Workshop V5.5 (VM-DESGN)
This course is to equip you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to design a VMware vSphere 5.5 virtual infrastructure that is available, scalable, manageable, and secure.
Certified Training Course
R 9 900 p.p. (Excl. VAT)
Classroom-based, Instructor-led with emphasis on hands-on exercises
3 days Start time: 09:00 (Registration will commence at 08:30 on the first day)
Available in Johannesburg & Cape Town
Please see below for dates
We recomend that students have:
- Knowledge of vSphere 5.5 installation, upgrade, configuration, and administration
At the end of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Understand and apply a framework to a design.
- Design a storage solution to use vSphere in an enterprise.
- Design a network to use vSphere in an enterprise.
- Design compute resources for an enterprise.
- Design virtual machines to run applications in a virtual infrastructure.
- Design a virtual datacenter for an enterprise.
- Incorporate management and monitoring features in the design.
- Identify design goals, requirements, constraints, and risks.
- Identify useful information for making design decisions.
- Recognize and analyze best-practice recommendations.
- Analyze alternative design choices.
Exam & Certifications
The VMware vSphere: Design Workshop course is recommended for VCAP5-DCD exam preparations. VCAP5-DCD is designed for IT architects who design and integrate VMware solutions in multi-site, large enterprise, virtualized environments. Successful candidates possess a deep understanding of datacenter design principles and methodologies, as well as VMware core components and their relation to storage and networking. Successful candidates also have broad knowledge of applications and infrastructure services, and how they relate and integrate with the virtual infrastructure.
1. Software Defined DC
- Clarify key terminology
- Introduce components of the software-defined data center
- Describe where vSphere fits into the cloud architecture
- Install and use vSphere Client
- Overview of ESXi
2. Creating Virtual Machines
- Introduce virtual machines , virtual machine hardware, and virtual machine files
- Create and work with virtual machines
3. vCenter Server
- Introduce the vCenter Server architecture
- Deploy and configure vCenter Server appliance
- Install and use vSphere Web Client
- Manage vCenter Server inventory objects and licenses
- Explain the benefits of enhanced vMotion compatability
4. Configuring and Managing Virtual Networks
- Describe, create, and manage standard switches
- Configure virtual switch loadbalancing algorithms
- Create, configure, and manage vSphere distributed switches, network connections, and port groups
5. Configuring and Managing Virtual Storage
- Introduce storage protocols and storage device names
- Discuss ESXi with Iscsi, NFS, and fibre channel storage
- Create and manage VMware vSphere VMFS datastores
- Introduce VMware Virtual SAN
- Introduce virtual volumes
6. Virtual Machine Management
- Use templates and cloning to deploy virtual machines
- Modify and manage virtual machines
- Perform vSphere vMotion and vSphere Storage vMotion migrations
- Create and manage virtual machine snapshots
- Create a vApp
- Introduce the types of content libraries and how to deploy and use the
7. Resource Management and Monitoring
- Virtual CPU and memory concepts
- Configure and manage resource pools
- Methods for optimizing CPU and memory usage
- vCenter Server performance graphs and alarms to monitor resource usage
- Create and use alarms to report certain conditions or events
- Identify and troubleshoot virtual machine resource issues
- vRealize operations manager for data center monitoring and management
8. vSphere HA and vSphere Fault Tolerance
- Explain the vSphere HA architecture
- Configure and manage vSphere HA cluster
- vSphere advanced parameters
- vSphere Fault Tolerance
- Enable vSphere fault tolerance on virtual machines
- Introduce vSphere Replication
- Use vSphere Data Protection to back up and restore data
9. Host Scalability
- Describe the functions of a vSphere DRS cluster
- Configure and manage a vSphere DRS cluster
- Work with affinity and antiaffinity rules
- Use vSphere HA and vSphere DRS together
10. vSphere Update Manager and Host Maintenance
- Use vSphere Update manager to to manage ESXi patching
- Install vSphere update manager and the vSphere update manager plug-in
- Create patch baselines
- Use host profiles to manage host configuration compliance
- Scan and remediate hosts
11. Installing VMware Components
- Install ESXi
- Introduce vCenter Server deployment options
- Introduce vCenter Server hardware, software, and database requirements
- Discuss installation of vCenter Server Appliance and a vCenter Server instance
- Demonstrate vCenter Server installation